Monday, October 1, 2012

Owl Cupcakes Tutorial

The first time I made these adorable little owls was three years ago for a cupcakepalooza birthday celebration held for a dear friend where I used to work.  We each were tasked with bringing in cute or delicious cupcakes to mark the event.  I thought these little owls were perfect...and they were!

These are great for any fall event.  In fact, I recently prepared them for a family day our church held.  Everyone absolutely has a fit over them any time I show up with them.  The kids especially get a kick out of them.

Here is what you need:
Cupcake Mix (or a recipe of your choice)
Cupcake Liners (I used purple here)
Chocolate Frosting
Oreo Cookies
M&M candies
Star decorator tip
Decorator bag or ziploc bag (I use a ziploc bag...cheap and easy)

Once you have gathered your supplies, you are ready to get started.  Go ahead and bake your cupcakes according to the directions and let them cool.  While you are waiting for the cupcakes to cool, begin taking apart the oreo cookies.  You will need to use the sides with the cream....you may do whatever you want with the plain sides (my husband and kids love being around when I am working on these to clean up the cast off cookies)



Now that your cupcakes are cool, you will put your star tip into your ziploc bag and fill the bag with chocolate frosting.  Make little dots of frosting close together all over the cupcake tops, pulling away to make a feather like texture.



Now place two oreos, cream side up, onto the cupcakes.



Place a small dot of frosting on the back of two M&Ms, and place them onto the oreos.  I like letting the owls have different colored eyes for personality.  For silly owls, make each eye a different color or make the eyes point different directions.  The kids fight over the unique ones.



Finally, take orange M&Ms (candy corn looks cute here too) and place them onto the cupcake to form a nose for each owl.



VOILA!  You have the most adorable dessert to serve at any fall event.  Give yourself a hand.

Did you try these?  Let me know! I love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment