Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

I don't know about you, but my kids LOVE chocolate milk.  I don't even know where the love of chocolate milk got started, but it definitely isn't going anywhere.  Powdered chocolate or chocolate syrup can be expensive and contain things that you don't want your kids exposed to.  What to do?

As with most of my projects, this one started out with a problem.  All moms have had this happen at one point or another.  An older child asks for something that you don't have in the house.  A younger child, unable to understand the concept of "we ran out" immediately begins begging endlessly for that item.  The pain never ends until you are able to produce it or sufficiently distract the kids.  This is exactly what happened with chocolate milk at our house.

I knew then that I needed to find a recipe for chocolate syrup that I could whip up quickly in case this ever happened again.  What I came up with has become our favorite chocolate milk mix.

What you need:
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 c. water
2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla
glass container for storage




Bring the first three ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Boil over medium for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.  Let cool.  Pour into glass jar or container and store in the refrigerator.




This makes a pretty rich mix, so you may want to use as little as 1 Tbsp. of mix per glass.  You'll want to experiment and find the amount that you like the best.



VOILA!  An easy, inexpensive, chemical free way to keep your kids supplied in chocolate milk for a very long time.

Do you use this at your house?  Have a different mix that works for you?  Let me know about it...I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about how long your homemade chocolate milk lasts stored in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It honestly is gone before the two week mark at our house, but I know it is good for that long. I'll try to whip up a batch and keep it to see how long it lasts and let you know.

    ReplyDelete